HUGO BOSS Men's 'DETROIT SPORT' Quartz Stainless Steel and Silicone Casual...
As a pastor’s daughter and granddaughter, I know church. Many people have visited a church on a Sunday morning for worship or maybe even on Wednesday evening for Bible Study. But during those other days of the week, other business is going on, trust and believe that. And many times, a church is struggling with growing its membership, developing a strong church and putting in place visionary leadership. When my father retired as the pastor of my church after 38 years in 2017, our church has been in this place because we’re in a new phase of the church. So when I got the chance to interview Pastor Olu Brown, I was excited to do so. Below is his bio.
Olujimi (Olu) Brown is the father of Daya Elom Brown and Langston Wesley Brown. Olu is a native of Lufkin, Texas. He graduated from Jarvis Christian College in Hawkins, Texas and earned a Master of Divinity degree from Gammon Theological Seminary of the Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta, Georgia.
He serves as the Lead Pastor of Impact Church, a young congregation in the East Point community of Metropolitan Atlanta (impactdcd.org). With Olu’s vision and leadership, since its founding in 2007, Impact has grown from a core team of 25 people to more than 2,400 attendees each Sunday in person and 1,600 online with a $4M budget, and listed at number 5 in the 25 Fastest Growing Large United Methodists Churches, 2018 Edition.
Olu strongly believes in an active church, one that makes a meaningful impact in the lives of individuals and communities. Impact is a multicultural community committed to Doing Church Differently™. Impact DCD redefines the church experience through inclusiveness, relatable messages, energetic weekly gatherings, unique events and activities, relevant youth programs and community outreach. The people of Impact are compelled to help bring healing, justice and compassion to the world.
Pastor Brown wrote about church management and leadership in his latest books Men's/Women's Lanvin Matte Slip-On (Mens 9UK/10US) Louis, elaborate Latest styles At an affordable priceand Leadership Directions from Moses: On the Way to a Promised Land. Below is my interview with him about these books.
1. Why did you feel the need to write “4D Impact: Smash Barriers Like a Smart Church?” Were you approached to write this book?
- Manolo Blahnik Gold with Silver Hangisi Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Asics Blue Nwob Women's Gel-exalt 2 Running Sneakers Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Black Classy Crisscrossed Strapped Heels Formal Shoes Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Zoom Stefan Janoski Premium High Tape 854321-001 Black Sz 10.5
- Nike Men's Kaishi 2.0 SE Running Shoes Midnight Navy/White/Photo Blue 10.5
- Nike Tiempo Vetta QS Size 9.5 NEW 845045 006 Night Maroon Wolf Grey $250
- Women's Nike Epic React Flyknit Platinum Blue Running training shoes Sizes 6-11
- Slippers and clogs Puma leadcat Men - Suede (365758)
- Easy Spirit Verys Black Leather Boots Side Zip Flex Sole Great Looking Womens 6B
- Nike Free Train Instinct Men's Shoe Size 10 (833274-010)
- Nike Lebron XIV Low White/White-Ice Grey Men's Basketball Shoes 878636-101
- New Thicken Womens Fur Winter Knee Snow Boots Handmade Rhinestone Shoes Fashion
- *NEW* $395 Aquatalia Verucca Waterproof Black Suede Wedge Ankle Boots size10
- Giuseppe Zanotti Boots Size 38 1/2 BNIB.. Black Foldover Booties
- Tony Lama Vtg Mens Sz 8.5 Leather Brown Western Cowboy Riding Ranch Boots
- VINTAGE LUCCHESE LEATHER MENS COWBOY BOOTS 8.5 D
- Ladies Clarks Ankle Boots - Matron Ella
- Calvin Klein Men's Reyes Tumbled Leather Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Invicta Womens Pro Diver Gold Dial Two Tone Watch W/ Crystal Accents
- NIKE AIR MAX 95 BAROQUE BROWN KHAKI 2004 RELEASE SZ 9 * 307255-261 *
- Man/Woman: air jordan doernbecher 6: Must Go
- Donald J Pliner Jeven Womens Shoes Black Low Wedge Beaded Slip On Shoes
- Dansko Patchwork Pro Leather Clog, Brown, Women Size 40 (9.5-10) $125
- SAM EDELMAN black leather high top fashion sneakers shoes sz. 7.5 M $120
- SPERRY Top Sider Bahama Raspberry Loafer Slip On Boat Shoes US 9.5 NWB
- Attilio Giusti Leombruni Women's Cap Toe Black Ballet Flat Sz 40
- Ariat 10019900 Fuse 3" Gray & Red Fade Athletic Tennis Shoe Sneakers
- ASICS Women's Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoe Blue Purple/Black/Flash Coral
- Nike Air Max Day 1 Ultra 2.0 Red/White 3.24 908489-101 OG QS WOMENS 6.5 & 7.5 US
- NWOB BORN BELO Chocolate Brown Textured Leather Platform Clogs size 7
- Giuseppe zanotti woman shoes leather silver size 6 made in italy
- Bally Mens Moccasin Driver Shoes, NIB, Size 9.5D (43), Black Leather, $400 value
- Man's/Woman's BLUE FIN SHOES MEN'S SIZE 11 Louis, elaborate special promotion Seasonal hot sale
- Fashion Men's New Slip On Loafers Casual Driving Shoes Leisure Moccasin Gomminos
- Rocky Men's Oxfords Shoes Black Leather 8.5M Safety Toe 911201 New with Tags
- Florsheim Leather Shoes 11.5 D Mens Brown Pebbled Loafers Chain Detail
- Georgio Brutini leather winter shoes boots sz 7M
- Womens 7 sz 37 N. Sarti Firenze Italy Oxblood Leather Tall Riding Boots Harness
- Womens Dingo Gaucho Nutty Mule Harness Boots 9M Only Worn a FEW Times! Must SEE!
- Womens Harley Davidson black UNISEX Motorcycle boots Maddy size 10 D84189 EUC!!!
- Dafna by Naot Women's Scout Boot, Black, 35 EU/4 M US
- Sperry Cold Bay Sport Duck Boots, Vibram Arctic Grip, Waterproof Winter 8 Mens
- New Mens Sneakers Clarks Originals Desert London 2 - Maple Suede Sneaker Shoes
- Emporio Armani Shoes Sneaker Sz. 42 Leather Man Red X4X220XL187-A004 MAKE OFFER
- Japan Made Traditional Zori Setta Mens Sandals White(soft thongs) 26.5cm 5146
- Dansko Womens Brown Oil Tanned Natural Leather Stapled Clog Shoes 8.5 - 9 M
- Asics Hyper Throw 2 Track Field Shoe GN812 Mens 6.5 Womens 8 Discus Shot Put
- Nike Reax Run 7 Mens Walking Running Shoes Sneakers Size 9.5 Gray 525763
- NEW Bogs Mens Sz 6 Forge STMG Lite Work Boots Waterproof Rain Steel Toe
- STEVE MADDEN Men's Brown Leather Mid High Boots Side Zipper Size 1
- Magnum Response III 8.0 Military Police Law Enforcement Desert Boots 9.5M
- Mens Fashion Safety Shoes Steel Toe Work Boots Breathable Hiking Casual Shoes
- Lands End Weatherly Mens Winter Snow Boots 12D 329318 New
- womens Columbia Waterproof Winter/snow Boots Size 9 In Black Kb061417A
- New Balance Fresh Foam Cruz Men's Running Shoes Incense with Phantom MCRUZOT
- New 2004 Nike Dunk High Pro SB size 8.5 Deep Olive Ghost 305050-302
- Brand New ADIDAS SMU ADIZERO CRAZY LIGHT = SIZE 14= MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOE
- Burberry Black House Check Cold-weather Shearling Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Pink Strass Cyrstal Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Gold Classic Pigalle Follies Platine 100mm Metallic Leather Point-toe Pumps Size EU 35 (Approx. US 5) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE ROSHE ONE MENS 511881-026 BLACK AUTHENTIC RETRO NEW AIR MAX 90 95 HUARACHE
- NEW Mens NIKE Legend Mid 312311 008 Sneakers Shoes 8.5
- Women's adidas UltraBOOST Running Shoes Ash Pearl/Linen/Clear BB6497 ASH
- Nike Women's Lunar Sculpt Training Shoe
- Dansko Grey Suede Chukka Bootie Size 37
- Womens Dolce Vita black/perforated leather ankle booties/ shoes sz. 7.5 M
- Men's Nike Flex 2017 RN Running Shoes 898457-001
- Nike Air Flight 89 Shoes Size 8.5 Toro Red Black White (2012) 306252-107
- Matisse Women's Can't Stop Ankle Boot, Black Textile, 10 M US
- Ariat Women's About Town Western Fashion Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Mou Women's Shoes Ankle Boots | Stone | Fall Winter 18/19
- Vintage Womens Real Leather Oxfords Creeper Bowknot Flat Heel Comfy Casual Shoes
- Bearpaw Boots Womens Meadow Warm Suede Wool 6 Charcoal 605W
- Classic Willits NAVY and white Leather Saddle Shoes US Womens sizes NOS
- FLY LONDON Botin Grey MEL687FLY P143687005 36 Grey
- Sam Edelman Loraine Gold Bit Metallic Silver Leather Loafer Shoe 7 New
- Gentlemen/Ladies PUMA Shoes 183723 Black 25ｃｍ Clever and practical Primary quality Very good classification
- Asics RoadHawk FF2 Pink Cordovan White Women Running Shoes Sneakers 1012A12-3700
- Dansko Women's Liberty Ankle Boot Black Burnished Nappa Leather Zipper
- L.L.BEAN Women's Suede Red Clogs Comfort Shoes sz 8.5 M Excellent condition!
- Wolverine Women's W10182 Piper Safety Toe Work Boot, Brown, 7 M US
- Canali Burgundy Suade Oxford Shoe Size US 10.5 NEW CSH44
- NoSox Men's Wino Slip-On Sneaker,Navy/White,10 M US
- Men's Ankle Boots Leather w Nylon Fashion Comfort Casual Hiking Work Shoe, Sizes
- Mens Loafers w/ Nice Silver Buckle Soft Suede-Look Blue Denim Color Moc5-Blue
- Circa Lopez Plaid Classic Casual Skate Shoes Size 12 Men
- Bottines Steven Madden Taille 7,5 En bon etat
- WOMENS LADIES HIGH HEEL PERSPEX ANKLE BOOTS ZIP UP FASHION CASUAL BOOTS SHOES
- Impo Womens espie Suede Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 10.0 6Dz0
- Women's sz 10 B JUSTIN Black Exotic Western Cowboy Boots L 2660 - NICE
- GAP Black Leather Pointy Booties Size 9.5
- men's shoes BASE LONDON 10 () elegant burgundy shiny leather BZ420-E
- COMMON PROJECTS x Mr PORTER DERBY SUEDE Tan 42 EU USED
- Christian Louboutin SPORTY DUDE LOW FLAT High-top sneakers leather enamel
- Merrell Boulder Beluga Sandals Men's Sz 10
- NEW Cream Beige DIVERONA Leather Square Toed Kiltie Heels Pumps 6
- Mens High Top Sneakers Platform Trainer Boots Athletic Basketball Shoes New 2018
- Adidas Mens - Black Running Shoes Size 8.5 (415157)
- NEW Mens Sonoma Brown Chukka Boots WIDE 11 Ortholite Insoles
- Christian Louboutin Cappuccino Madcarina 60 Veau Velours Sandals Size EU 35 (Approx. US 5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Lambskin Leather Gun Metal Rockstud Biker Boots/Booties Size US 7
- Christian Louboutin Black Viyonce Leather Shearling Winter Boots/Booties Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Dunk High FiveOneO 510 Sz 11 Camo 646552 037 skunk janoski blazer 420
- Nike Flex Control II Black/Metallic Cool Grey-Cool Grey (924204 010)
- Superhero Mens Boots | Kapow Hand-crafted Mens Shoes
- LACROSSE WP, Steel Toe Black Rubber Industrial / Work Boots Men’s Size 12 D
- Mr/Ms Kenneth Cole Men’s Suede Boots 13 Promotion Skilled manufacturing Tide shoes list
- mens Ankle Boots Shoes real Leather Embroidered Dragon Dress Zip new Fashion new
- Cole Haan Men's Tucker Venetian Loafer French Roast 10.5 M
- Fashion Men Pointy Toe Embroidery Slip On Casual Leather Dress Formal Shoes Size
- adidas Originals Swift Run PK Primeknit Cloud White Grey Men Running Shoe CQ2895
- PUMA 365773-02 Womens Fenty x Jelly Slides- Choose SZ/Color.
- adidas Sneakers EQT Support Refined BB1322 Grau Weiß
- Nike Air Presto Women's Sz 10 Shoes Bright Melon Pink White Running (878068-802)
- REEBOK CL COURTEE MID-MONOPOLY COMMUNITY CHEST stylewomen's size US11
- New Women Mid Calf Snow Boots Med Wedge Winter Warm Waterproof Slip On Shoes Chi
- Nike Air Jordan 2 Retro Wing It '15 Multi Black White Men 13 Basketball Athletic
- Nike Air Jordan 10 Retro “Venom” Style Size 11.5
- Lady's Ankle Boots Leather Embroidery Brogue Carved Square Toe Wedge Platform 18
- Man/Woman NEW DEIMILLE WOMENS ANKLE BOOTS New market a good reputation in the world Diversified new design
- Keds White Jeweled Sneakers Women's US 9M M
- Antonio Melani Womens 8.5 M Purple Suede Leather Studded Slip-on Loafers Flats
- INC International Concepts Women's Oleena Loafer Flats Size 7.5 Pink Leather
- Man's/Woman's NEW GIA COUTURE WOMENS MULES bargain Year-end sale At an affordable price
- Andre Assous Women's Tate Oxford, Black, Size 9.0
- Belle By Sigerson Morrison Women's Andromeda Flats Black Patent Size 7.5 M
- Kaepa Women's TouchUp Cheer Shoe White Size 8
- Asics GT-2000 5 [T757N-5093] Women Running Shoes Insignia Blue/Silver
- Adidas by Stella McCartney Womens PureBoost X Shoes Size 9.5 us BY1970 LAST PAIR
- Skechers Eldred Sneaker - Women's Size 7.5, Black
- Azura Women's Lushus Bootie Black Suede Comfort Shoes
- ALESSANDRO DELL'ACQUA Man's High Top Shoes Sneakers NEW Size 10.5 Eur 43.5
- Nike Mens Stefan Janoski Premium Green Casual Shoes 4.5 Medium (D) BHFO 0274
- SERVUS MEN'S OVERSHOES, PLAIN TOE TYPE, PVC UPPER MATERIAL, SIZE M(ZZ1002-4CE49)
- Steve Madden Men's Vantage Sneaker, Grey, 10 M US
- TED BAKER LONDON Mens Dress Shoes Classic Brown Slip On Penny Loafer Sz Size 9D
- Gentleman/Lady Womens Banana Republic Boots Selling Beautiful Excellent function
- Me Too Sidney Black Suede Leather Wedge Knee High Zip-Up Boots Size 6.5M
- Sbicca Byanca Women's Leather Fringe Stacked Heel Ankle Bootie Boot
- Lucky Brand Lorry Black Womens Shoes Size 8 M Boots MSRP $139
- Women's Size 7 M Vintage Durango Boots Light Brown Leather Cowboy Boots
- Hot Chic Men Real Leather Floral Breath Board Street Dance Casual Sneakers Shoes
- Slick Excotica Mens Brown Crocodile Sneakers Size 9 M2570CL
- SANTONI $1240 Intrecciato Loafers Leather Shoes Black 
- NEW CLARKS Christopher Raeburn Men's Jacala Leather Straps Sandals Sz 11
- Pleaser Pink Label ANNA-02 Womens Anna02/b-Bpu Ballet Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- 2007 Nike Air Zoom Dunk Low Dunkesto Ronaldinho Union Grey Volt Sz 11 315207 002
- New Balance 650 Dark Brown Leather Athletic Trail Running Shoes Mens 12 M
- NEW Mens Wicked Road Warrior Jose Leather Motorcycle/Casual Shoes Black Sz 10.5M
- Rockport Adidas Adiprene Men Sz 12 Brown Leather Ankle Boots Monk Strap Side Zip
- GRABBERS MEN'S WORK BOOTS , 6'', BLACK, SIZE 6-1/2W, PR (ZZ0997-40K067)
- Fashion Mens PU Leather side zipper Military Combat Biker Motor Mid Calf Boots #
- Ted Baker London Abdon 2 2-Eye Chukka Boot, Suede Upper, Dark Blue, green shoes
- Calvin Klein buckle ankle boot suede leather brown men's sz 11.5 EUC clean Nice!
- adidas Womens Tennis US Open Skirt Leggings - Choose SZ/Color
- ECCO Men's Faro Plain Toe Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Nemeziz Messi 17.3 FG J Soccer Shoe - Boys
- Valentino Ivory Rockstud Punkouture White Leather Ballet Ballerina Flats Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Lady Troop Leather 35.5 Boots/Booties Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Athena Alexander Pink Teagan Pointed Toe Kitten Dress Pumps Blush Platforms Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Dunk Low NY Edition Size 10.5
- New Men's Nike Air Max Typha Size 13 Red Black White Training Shoes
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Black 880555-003 Men’s Size 10
- Nike Roshe One Rosheone Retro Hyperfuse Print Sneaker black grey blue white red
- Womens Ladies Winter Furry Pom Ankle Boots Faux Suede Snow Pull On Boots Boots
- Womens Splice Faux Suede Print Zip Leopard Sexy High Thick Heel Ankle Boots Hot
- Nike SB Air Classic "Oscar The Grouch" Men's 9.5 Treeline Green Bean Dunk Rare!
- Nike Vandal High Supreme TD Sail Multicolor Gum Light Brown Green Men's Size 12
- Womens Leather Stilettos Triming Fur Stilettos Mid Calf Boots Zipper Black Shoes
- Synthetic Snakeskin Grain Leather High Heels Knee High Womens Knight Boots Size
- FRYE 70887 Womens Flynn Short Metal Plate Ankle Bootie- Choose SZ/Color.
- DANSKO Wos Shoes 306750202 US 6.5/7 Black Leather Slip-On Wedge Work 699
- sz 11/ 41 NEW CAMPER Ballerina Flats Women's navy Leather suede Shoes
- L.K. Bennett Women’s Blue Peyton Velvet Trainer RRP 150 GBP, UK size 7,
- Earthies Clare - Women's Ballet Flat Ginger - 7.5 Medium
- Tory Burch Claire Reva Ballerina Flats Gold Logo Ballet Shoe 6.5 Navy Leather
- Skechers Go Walk 4 Edge IV Black Pink White Women Running Shoes 14930-BKPK
- NIKE ROSHE TWO CASUAL WOMEN's BLACK - BLACK AUTHENTIC NEW IN BOX US SIZE 5.5
- Custom TATTOO hand painted WOmens mens ANY size VANS Sailor abstract cards vegas
- Klogs Slip On Shoes Women's Sz 5m Black Leather Slip Resistant (tu25)
- Nurse Shoes Hospital Medical Beauty Salon Doctors Nuring Soft Women Work Shoes
- Hogan Shoes Sneaker Sz. 6 H341 Italy Man Blue HXM3410J190-HRN1001 PUT OFFER
- Supreme Nike 14Awair Force1 High Spnike Air Top 27Cm Sb01 125071Pbb35 * (107784
- Man/Woman SANUK GRAY CHIBA STITCHED SIDEWALK SURFER Exquisite (middle) workmanship Upper material Speed refund
- Rockport MWT17W World Tour Classic Walking Men's Oxfords Shoes Brown Sz 12
- Gentlemen/Ladies GBX Men's AYR 135234 Slip-On Loafer service Impeccable Very good classification
- Women's Faux Suede Casual Comfort Mid Calf Round Toe Slouch Flat Heel Boots
- New Ciao Bella Redwood Knee High Vegan Leather Boot SZ 6 M $224
- Josef Seibel Ankle Boots Brown Leather ARTSY Velcro Closure Comfort 38 7.5
- Walking Cradles ' Zinc' Women's Black Leather Ankle Boots Size 7 M $125
- Fly Loundon Womens hota Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots sludge olive Size 7.5 N
- Gentleman/Lady Rockport 7100 High White/White-White Walking Shoe Complete specification Year-end sale Official website
- Aquazzura Rose Gold Wild Thing Formal Shoes Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Dior Red * Studded Strappy Platform Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Yellow Red and Multi Hawaii Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max Invigor Mid 858654-401 Obsidian/Solar Red Sz 11
- Cole Haan 'ZeroGrand' Perforated Leather Shoes Size 9 M
- New Versace Idol Black Leather Palazzo High-Top Crystal Medusa Sneakers 41 - 8
- Gentleman/Lady Mens tommy hilfiger flip flops Elegant shape First grade in its class Different goods
- Eastland Women's Syracuse Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Originals Men's Matchcourt Mid ADV Black/White Sneaker 11M
- Brooks PR Sprint Sample Mens Size 9 Spikes
- Fashion Mens Breathable Steel Toe Cap Safety Work Shoes Hiking Sneakers Boots
- Mens 10.5 W Wide Cuatralba Mexico Boots Black Leather Square Toe Cowboy Western
- Men/Women Demonia CREEPER-602S Reputation first a variety of Excellent function
- NORTHWEST TERRITORY THINSULATE, MENS DUCK BOOTS BROWN SIZE 11
- NEW POLO RALPH LAUREN Mens Brown Oiled Suede Mens Boots Shoes 12 D NIB
- Justin 12 D Gray Leather 1277 Pointed Boots Made in USA
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 12 () sneakers black leather BZ677-F
- NEW $175 Allen Edmonds Kirkwood Boat Shoes Penny Loafers Lucky Green 8.5 E
- PUMA Authentic Platform Slide Sandal Women Shoes Black HyunA 367746 SZ 5-8
- Nike Mens SB Stefan Janoski Max Navy Blue 631303 404 Size 8.5
- Adidas NMD R1 Runner Pink Sun Glow Size 9 Men / Women 10
- Nike Lunarglide 9 Pure Platinum/White 904716-003 Women's SZ 7.5
- Women's Asics Gel-Cumulus 19 Running Shoes - Indigo/Black/Coral - NIB!
- Women Sexy Europe Style Black Chunky Heels Side Zipper National Wind Long Boots
- NIKE Air Zoom Alpha Talon Detachable White Black Football Cleat NEW Mens 14 14.5
- Nike Air Jordan Retro 11 Space Jam 2016 Size 6y Black Concord 378037 003
- Ladies Super High Heels 16cm Silver Pleated Platform Over Knee Boots Clubwear
- Stetson Boots Leather & Suede Womens square toe Cowgirl Botas Size 5.5 NEW SEE!!
- Naturalizer Womens Tynner Leather Round Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots
- FitFlop Womens Black Flip Flops Size 7 (424488)
- Boemos Monk Strap Oxford Shoes Womens 6 1/2 European 37 Italy Leather Upper Red
- Gianvito Rossi Beige Suede Ruffled Flats/Sandals/Shoes 38.5
- Tory Burch Holden Women's Black Studded Leather Ballerina Flat Sz 9 M 4572
- Man's/Woman's FURLA BALLERINES CUIR NOIR Complete specification range Make full use of materials Exquisite processing
- Nike WMNS Air Max 1 Ultra Essentials women lifestyle casual sneakers plum fog
- ECCO Women's Sneak Retro Tie Fashion Sneaker
- $295--New with Box Ash LEATHER Wedge Sneakers Shoes, black,
- CLARKS SLIP ON LOAFERS SHOES / TAN SUEDE ( SIZE 6.5 ) WOMEN’S
- NEW Marc Fisher Dexie2 Sz 5 Tennis Shoes Loafers Light Pink Suede Blush Woven
I felt the need because in part I travel quite a bit and in traveling, I get an opportunity to meet different leaders and different pastors and I’m finding that although many have great educational backgrounds and have had great experiences in their local churches, the systems, people and culture changes so quickly that they’re not able to adapt to those changes fast enough. And so I wrote ‘4 D’ to say, ‘Hey, there are four critical areas in every church, wherever you happen to be, if you could focus on these areas, you could have a healthy, more vital, growing church.’ And those areas of course from the book are technology, worship, systems and hospitality, which on the surface sounds very easy, low-hanging fruit. But as you dig through that and apply it to your local church, it becomes some of the hardest but most rewarding work that you will ever do.
2. You recently hosted an online conference regarding the principles you shared in “4D Impact.” How did you teach the principles you learned in the one-hour conference?
It wasn’t designed to teach all of the principles in one hour. It was an introductory course. It was an introduction for people who may be skeptical, people who have heard these things before and they’re not quite sure and people who are totally sold out and they really want to tell their leaders, ‘Here is what I’ve been talking about. Here is someone else saying it.’
3. In this book, you share stories of success and failure from Impact Church’s ongoing journey. Tell me about one success and one failure and what you learned?
One story of success is beginning around literal coffee tables in Starbucks with a group of volunteers who are still so passionate about the vision we’re casting that 12 years later, Impact is what it is. So although now we have staff and our budget is larger, we historically have always and will always be dependent on volunteers. So as it relates to volunteerism, that is one of our successes.
One failure story which was really a learning opportunity is around what it means to literally disciple people to the next level. When you think about churches, most churches do discipleship or should do discipleship, meaning, ‘Hey, I want to be a Christian. I accept Christ and 10 years later, I shouldn’t be in the same place.’ So I don’t call it a failure but an opportunity. It is typical of new churches, meaning we start like gangbusters and then one day, you wake up and you realize, ‘Oh my God, we have to take these people somewhere.’ So that is a constant question for us, ‘How do we take people to a place of Christian maturity while knowing that as a 12-year-old, preteen church, we can’t take people all of the way. But what is that part of the way that God is calling us to? So that’s been an opportunity for us to learn. We don’t always get it right but one day, we hope to say, ‘If you hang out at Impact, this is what you will look like as a Christian.’
How did you galvanize those volunteers?
I was blessed to work at a large church for about five and a half years before we started Impact. While I was there, I built some great relationships and I also built some great relationships in the marketplace who I was able to pull in. And it wasn’t just me. The volunteers invited people so we all pulled in folk. So it was relationships.
What do you mean by “you can’t take people all of the way?”
If you think about a discipleship model in the alphabet, beginning with A and going all the way to Z, some churches will say, we can take you all the way to Z, but that’s really not true. You have to think of a church like a supermarket or another store. Target is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. Wal-Mart is great, but they’re not going to sell everything. And so typically a shopper has to piecemeal their shopping list along the lines of two or three locations. And that’s the reality of where spirituality is in the 21st century. No one church can do everything for one person or should we. But we should be able to know what we do very well.
So when we talk about a discipleship model, that may mean you meet Impact as a seeker, trying to understand who Jesus Christ is and then when you leave Impact, whenever that is, maybe you will have taken a Bible Study or been part of a small group that helps you understand the Bible, that helps you understand prayer, that helps you understand other spiritual disciplines. And then you can go on to another church and go deeper in another spiritual dynamic or in another area and while you’re with them, you’re learning even more than what you learned than when you were with us. But we were a part of that foundational story that helped you get to the next level of your spiritual growth.
So you don’t think a church should try to keep members for their lifetimes?
It depends on the life and stage of the church and the life and stage of the member. For instance, a month ago, I was at a church and they were celebrating their 154th church anniversary. There are some members who have been members of that church for all of their lives and that works for them. But I think the way that culture is shifting because of jobs, because of geography, because folks today don’t mind living in a city two or three years, it’s going to be virtually impossible for healthy, thriving growing churches to say we have lifetime members. We have lifetime support. We have lifetime encouragement. And we have lifetime shared stories but for you to be here your entire life is unlikely and typically if you’re a young adult.
4. Some people are skeptical of megachurches. I’m not sure if Impact is considered a megachurch but it is a large church. For example, my husband was just saying to me that he wonders how some churches grow to megachurch size without some shenanigans being involved or the message of the gospel being compromised somehow. As a church growth expert, do you feel that every church should have thousands of members in order to be healthy?
I don’t. The numerical size does not determine health or vitality of a local church. What most people don’t know is in America, the average size church is 75 people so when you see these large churches and megachurches or gigachurches, those are a minority. They are not the norm. It’s like what you see in the United States of America. It’s mostly made up of these small towns. You’ve got these huge cities like Atlanta but if you travel outside of Atlanta, a lot of America is rural, grassroots people who grow crops, who have industries that literally service the world. And it’s the same thing with the local church. I believe my expertise comes in by saying, ‘I don’t necessarily want you to grow larger for the sake of; I want you to be as healthy as you can be and as vital as you can be. And if you do that, you will reach the world for Jesus Christ.’
But to your husband’s point, I do believe some churches can grow that large without any abnormalities, without anything happening that can be indifferent or bad because there are just some churches and yeah, it’s spiritual and it’s favor, but God’s favor is on every church. Some people think this church is big because God’s favor is on it. No God’s favor is just as present in that church with 80 people but there are just some things that work for that church. It may be a strong lay leader. It may be a strong Sunday School system. It may be a strong small group system.
Or they are just are in the right geography. Sometimes when you watch football, you will see these small towns that have college teams. For instance, you take the University of Georgia. I’m here right now in Michigan and I just passed Notre Dame. Now Notre Dame is a small city, but it has a huge school. And I think sometimes these schools are located in places where there isn’t a pro team presence so that the college team is the pro team and there is a lot invested in that. You can just be in the right community and you’re the only show in town. So by nature of being the only show in town, you’re going to be bigger if you’re healthy.
5. To assess the “health” of a church, you assess culture, hospitality, worship, and technology. Tell me more about this assessment process and the diagnostic tools in the book.
The first thing I do is to come in and get to know the church’s story and that means getting to know their history and their present and then from that you will begin to hear the culture of the church because every church has a culture. Culture may mean very strong pastoral leadership. Culture may mean very strong lay leadership. Culture may mean this is an outreach and missions church. You get to know their stories and their culture.
And then you observe their worship because people can tell you about their worship but you actually have to sit in on their worship. A couple of weeks ago, I was in Florida, sitting in on Sunday morning, on a worship experience at a church. After that, I was able to give some written feedback and oral feedback to the leader of that church or the pastor who will soon be the leader so that he and the other leaders can take that and work through each of those details related to worship and make that more vital.
Technology is more of an Excel spreadsheet where you’re taking inventory of current technology, outdated technology. You’re breaking that into software because a lot of people don’t think about that. And you also break that into hardware. And from that you can address budget decisions and directional path decisions about what we want to look like as a church in technology.
Systems can be broad but one of the things I tell people about systems is that there are open systems and closed systems. And you think about language for instance. Whenever someone stands and gives an announcement and says, ‘Hey, thank you for being a part of church family. We’re glad you’re here.’ Words like that are closed system words meaning when you say family, that means we have everybody we need and we don’t necessarily need new people. So your language is a system and people don’t think about that. So myself and my team leaders will come in as outsiders with neutral opinions, wanting to help and not harm you because we all want to reach people for Jesus Christ.
6. What inspired you to write “Leadership Directions from Moses?” which is described a handy tool for those dealing with the departure of key members from the church.
It doesn’t matter the age or stage of a church, people leave from day 1. The very first Sunday service that we had Impact, some people left afterward. People come with preconceived expectations. And we started in a middle school. And there weren’t any crosses up. There were no stained glass windows. Some people said, ‘This is great for y’all but it’s not for me.’ So people are always leaving and people are always coming.
But I wrote this book for leaders like me who struggle with sharing vision, struggle with delegation and also who struggle with understanding that the same way God speaks to me, God also speaks to other people. So when we read Moses’ story that then leads into Joshua, we always assume at all 12 tribes made it into the Promised Land. But if you read Numbers 32, the Reubenites and the Gadites come to Moses when they are in a geographic area called the Transjordan, they say, ‘Hey Moses, we like where we are.’ Moses makes a compromise and says, ‘Okay, if you help us go fight for the land, then you and your families can come back here.’ So time moves on. Moses dies. Joshua is the new leader. Joshua divides out the land and that’s when Joshua tells those two tribes, you can now return to that place.
What typically happens with leaders is that we demonize people for having a different vision or a different path, and we then only focus on those people who don’t want to go where you feel God has called you to go and those are two fatal mistakes in leadership. Because one, we don’t honor other people’s vision and how they hear God and two, we take our eyes off of the majority of people who still want to move forward and we put all of our emphasis on the minority group of people who don’t necessarily want to move forward. So it works through three critical conversations: self-conversation around self-awareness and self-differentiation, conversation with others around casting vision and helping them understand what God is sharing in your heart, and finally those difficult conversations that we have with God when you’re down and out. Ultimately, we all have a promise and we can get there but we only get there through these difficult conversations.
7. Is there anything else you would like to add?
First of all, thank you for this interview. I do share with groups as I travel and at home, that in spite of all the difficulties with leaders in general, but specifically with leaders of local churches, both clergy and lay people, are facing, this is the greatest evangelistic opportunity of our lifetime. I know we’re seeing a decline in church attendance and more and more people are opting out of religion in general, but I still believe this a great opportunity if we’re willing to reach people in a 21st century way with the same theology we’ve always had but we have to be willing to retool, we have to be willing to reshape and we have to be willing to reach culture where they are and not expect them to walk through our doors and just show up.
For more information about NN Salvatore Ferragamo's Glasgow Leather Loafer Gancio Bit & Lug Sole 9 3E $599and TOD'S men shoes midnight blue suede gommini tie loafer XXM0GW05470RE0U805 and Pastor Olu Brown, go to @pastorolubrown on Tod's Men's Perforated Suede Trainer Sneaker, Navy, Size 8 US , MSRP $675 and his website olubrown.org.